Once subscribed, users have access to many functions and tools that support healthcare evaluation and improve productivity.
Multi-Platform Access for Subscribers:
- Website at www.MedicalAlgorithms.com
- iOS app
- Android app
Operating the apps requires an internet connection
- Access for Companies and developers:
- API for system integration and bulk processing. See below Point 18 for more details.
- SDK for developers
Institutional subscriptions for university libraries and institutions includes full access to all analytics, results, interpretation, documentation, references and user-specific tools. Contact us to discuss your specific requirements.
Selecting the right analytics
As a professional in clinical evaluation and analysis, you can choose from our large number of medial calculators and clinical scores. However, it is your responsibility to select the right analytics to support your clinical decision making for the specific case under review.
Search to identify analytics by condition, keywords, references or ICD-10 codes. You can select to screen all our 5,000 calculators or all 30,000 analytic tool descriptions.
Refine your initial search results by specialty and objective using the additional selections on the left of the screening results. Choose from the following objectives: Diagnosis, Therapy, Monitoring and Patient Concerns.
Each objective can be broken down into sub-objectives such as: risk factors, clinical diagnosis, genetics, laboratory tests, severity, prognosis, differential diagnosis and red flags.
Algorithms with calculators are highlighted by a blue dot in front of the title. Analytics with only documentation and references do not have the blue dot.
- By specialty: our list of specialties and sub-specialties shows when clicking on the Specialty button. With a full subscription, you can choose from over one hundred specialties and sub-specialties, which are grouped according to the AMA Physician Specialty Groups and Codes.
- By ICD-10 code
- Medal Packs: systematically developed professional compilations assist you with patient decisions for specific medical conditions.
- Guidelines: Analytics based on an official medical guideline of a medical/scientific society or workgroup and follows the medical workflow, from diagnosis to prognosis, treatment all the way to follow-up.
- Multiple analytics: When executing an analytic which requires input from another analytic, you can call the other analytic in a new tab / window and generate the results.
- Sample Calculators: A curated collection spanning a range of specialties, to illustrate the breadth and range of knowledge tools.
- Each calculator page has six sections: title, evaluation, results, Interpretation and documentation, references, and finally the recommended next steps.
- Title: relevant information about the analytic and the condition under review, including the applicable specialties and the objectives. Links provides access to the CMS and WHO websites with a detailed explanation of the applicable ICD-9 and ICD-10 codes
- Evaluation: input data required to compute the results of the predictive algorithm. Inputs are restricted to realistic value ranges. If your inputs are out of range, you get a warning message. If your inputs are extreme, the calculation will not proceed.
- Results: Upon clicking Submit, before calculating results, inputs are tested and in case of missing values, warning messages are shown. When input data is accepted, Results are displayed automatically.
- Data inputs are not cached. If you observe an issue on one of the analytics, we welcome your feedback. We will respond and fix any problems immediately.
- Interpretation and Description – this section provides background on the scientific studies behind the analytics. All studies and the original papers have been peer-reviewed. Our team of physicians and seasoned software engineers with healthcare experience have rigorously tested our calculators. If you observe an issue with an analytics, we welcome your feedback.
- References and PubMed IDs – all references are listed along with a direct link to PubMed citations.
- Next Steps in Evaluation – additional analytics related to the specific calculator just used are listed and are categorized by clinical objective. These related calculators were selected by medical practitioners.
MyMedal – personalized document storage and control
You can save results, store an algorithm as a favorite, create individualized paths of series of analytics, print, email, save, and forward any calculator to an email address. With a subscription, you can store your algorithms and data directly on the Medal platform and access your own analytics in the MyMedal tab:
- My Likes – save any calculator as a favorite.
- My Saved* – save results from an evaluation with data inputs and results.
- My Paths – define your own analytics workflow. Create your own assessment plan for any desired condition. Define different paths for different uses and update them individually.
- MyConsults* – analysis, documentation and reporting of evaluation for individually identified cases.
- * Results and analytics are saved with identifiers of up to five characters. Character limits are in place to be in line with HIPAA privacy rules.
Generate a report in PDF format of your evaluation for your evidence-based practice needs. Store all your reports with a 5-character identifier with date and time. You can access your evaluation with your original input data, continue the analysis and store it again. See the Tutorial on top of the MyConsult table as well as a description of professional Benefits and applications.
Request accelerated development of a specific analytic which includes documentation and references, but does not offer a calculator. We currently collect all requests and will add them to our development queue.
Testing and Verification
We make every effort to provide high quality validated software and analytics. Reliability and usability are of great importance to us. We have taken particular care in developing, verifying, testing, and maintaining our calculators. We follow established policies for technical and medical review for all our analytics.
- The Settings button is in the Welcome menu below your name on the top right of the screen. Here you can change all your personal information and access account details. That menu also shows the link for Sign-Out.
- Contact: Use the Contact button on the top menu to send us a message. We will respond as quickly as possible.
- Blog: See our analytics in action: take a look at some practical use cases. Our blog articles (see the tab on the top menu) provide a large number of examples and uses of the analytics. Most refer to a specific situation or need and illustrate calculator uses and evaluation options.
- Clients: Benefits and practical uses for various user groups. We describe applications for decision support, quality care, automation options, and improvement of payment options. We also have links to sample algorithms which may help providers, payers, data companies, health administrators, pharma companies or telehealth providers.
- A Converter for US and international measures helps with converting any measures used in our calculators. The link is at the bottom of the webpage.
- Practical Links guide you to ICD code information, cancer organizations, US and international organizations, as well as world and travel information. The link is at the bottom of the webpage.
Your company or organization can obtain dedicated access:
- iFrame: A direct link on your website to any of our analytics. Select the models you require, implement iFrame, and then your users can access and execute our calculators and models from your own website.
- API – Application Programming Interface
Direct Interface with Standard Data Definitions
We provide access to all our calculators and models through our APIs. You can integrate our analytics with your system by uploading your data and receiving the results back on your system. You can then use the results for further processing and integration with your data structures.
Our up-to-date standard data definitions improve interoperability and efficiency.
You can upload your data and receive the results in your system for further processing. There are various access and use case options:
- Integrate with your EMR/EHRs to evaluate a condition based on the data in the electronic health record.
- Bulk upload and process your data on our system; seamlessly execute our predictive models. Receive the results back as bulk download onto your system.
Our tech-support team will assist you with implementation and data integration.
We use standard data definitions for all our input values. We can assist you with matching your data items to the model input data items, and provide you with a data mapping structure.
Contact us to discuss your requirements and data mapping formats (HL7, LOINC, FHIR).
Consult Reports on any of the data sets you process through our API, can be added to patient records and support the evidence-based evaluation you have conducted with your patients.
User Guide of the Medal platform last updated 05 October 2020